Moving to the Free State doesn’t have to be a stressful experience. We’ve compiled some of our best tips & resources to make your move as smooth as possible. You can also watch a video put together by our friend, Tarrin Lupo, on the Top 6 Tips to Help Free Staters Move to New Hampshire.
There are a few options when packing your belongings: hire local packers, or pack yourself. If you pack yourself, one of the best places to obtain boxes is the hospital loading dock. If you don’t mind buying boxes, both Home Depot and Lowe’s sell boxes for reasonable prices.
When packing, make sure you tag each box with the name of the destination room.
It’s important to take important papers & medications with you, either in a suitcase or box.
Porcupine Moving Lines – 603-348-1140
There’s a tradition in the Free State to help new movers unload their moving truck. If you would like to schedule a move-in party, email email@example.com
Click here to view 8 Tips to a Successful Move-In Party, created by Gordon Kemp.
Registering Your Vehicle
Once in New Hampshire, you will have 60 days to register your vehicle. To register your vehicle, you will need to submit title, proof of residency and show a picture ID to the Town Clerk’s office where you reside. Town Clerks’ offices can be found here. Registration fees differ for each vehicle. To read the full details of how to register a vehicle, go here.
Other Helpful Tips
- Register your change of address with USPS.gov. Contact companies directly to provide your new address to prevent any potential of lost or misdirected mail.
- Notify current utility providers of your move, and schedule shut-off for the day after you plan to leave.
- Call new utilities in New Hampshire and set up new accounts. Keep in mind that many homes use propane or oil for heat, and you will have to call to establish service with local providers, as well.
- Many towns in NH do not have garbage pick up. You will either make a trip to the local transfer station, or find a company that will come to pick up your garbage for a fee.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org to be assigned a mover number.